A standard in our household. Can be varied in many ways and is always good. Add or leave out almost anything but the rice!
Ingredients for 4-5 servings
- 2 cups (ca. 400g) Basmati rice
- 3 Tablespoons (40 g) Butter
- 2 small or 1 large onions finely chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or pressed
- ½ can (3 oz. 100g) peanuts half chopped roughly (optional – or cashews)
- 1 each red, green and yellow bell pepper deseeded and coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons curry powder (your favourite mixtures)
- 1 chili or cayenne pepper or more according to personal taste
Cook the rice as normal in 4 cups lightly salted water or beef, chicken or vegetable stock
Sauté the onion, celery, garlic in the butter over medium heat. Add the nuts, curry powder, chili or cayenne pepper and continue to sauté for 3 minutes. Season with salt, additional curry powder or cayenne pepper according to taste.
Serve with fish, sausage or meat.