Black- and Blueberry Ricotta Cake
from the book: Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi
- 150g (1 cup) plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 160 g (1-1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 240 g (1-1/2 cup) mixed berries (black-, blue- and/or raspberries)
1) Preheat oven to 175 °C (350 °F). Butter or spray an 8″ square pan with non-stick spray. Line the pan with a strip of parchment that hangs over 2 edges.
2) In a large bowl whisk the eggs, then add 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar and whisk until light and foamy, about 1 minute. (We use a hand mixer) Add the ricotta, oil, vanilla and salt and whisk or beat until smooth.
3) In a second bowl mix the flour, baking powder and soda and add to the ricotta mixture, stirring to combine thoroughly, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Fold in 160 g (1 cup) of the berries, reserving the remaining berries to sprinkle over the top.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap the pan gently to release air bubbles and smooth the top. Scatter the reserved berries over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar.
5) Bake until puffed and golden, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean (40 to 50 minutes). Set the pan on a rack an allow to cool for 15 minutes. Thern use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and set it on the rack to cool completely. Cake can be stored wrapped or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.